• Firefighters extinguished a fire at the Best Western on Thursday night. The fire is believed to have started in the sauna, HBF said. (HBF — Contributed)

  • Firefighters extinguished a fire at the Best Western on Thursday night. The fire is believed to have started in the sauna, HBF said. (HBF — Contributed)

  • Firefighters extinguished a fire at the Best Western on Thursday night. The fire is believed to have started in the sauna, HBF said. (HBF — Contributed)

  • Firefighters extinguished a fire at the Best Western on Thursday night. The fire is believed to have started in the sauna, HBF said. (HBF — Contributed)

  • Firefighters extinguished a fire at the Best Western on Thursday night. The fire is believed to have started in the sauna, HBF said. (HBF — Contributed)

of

Expand
PUBLISHED: | UPDATED:

A fire was reported Thursday night at the Best Western hotel on Broadway. The fire is believed to be started by a faulty heating unit in the sauna area.

Guests at the hotel were asked to evacuate while the fire was being extinguished.

The fire caused an estimated $20,000 in damage, Humboldt Bay Fire reported.

The following is a press release from Humboldt Bay Fire:

Just after 9:00PM on Thursday, August 22nd, Humboldt Bay Fire was dispatched to the Best Western at 3500 Broadway St.

Crews arrived and were alerted to smoke and flames pushing out of the left side of the building by several guests who had evacuated the building.

At this time, we believe the fire originated in the walls of the sauna as a result of a faulty heating unit. Thankfully, the sprinkler in the fitness room was operating properly and was activated to release water as designed.

Crews evacuated the building and were able to extinguish the remaining smoke and flames.

There were no injuries, and damage was confined to the fitness room area at an approximation of $20,000.

After working with PG&E to secure power and gas and with hotel maintenance staff to secure fire watch, guests have been allowed to return to their rooms safely.

At this time, Humboldt Bay Fire would like to remind the public to evacuate immediately upon hearing a fire alarm sound and treat every alarm as if there was a fire. Never hesitate in calling the fire department to investigate an alarm.

blog comments powered by Disqus