PUBLISHED: | UPDATED:

From a Humboldt Bay Fire press release:

At 12:10 p.m. on Tuesday, Humboldt Bay Fire responded with three engines, a truck, and chief officer to a reported structure fire on the 2800 Block of C Street. The first arriving engine company reported that there was moderate smoke coming from the single-story, wood- framed residential structure. An aggressive interior attack was initiated while additional units searched the structure for any victims.

The tenant had self-evacuated from the structure. There were two dogs that also escaped the fire. One person was evaluated for smoke inhalation but declined treatment.

Fire crews controlled the fire within ten minutes. The fire was confined to the kitchen area, with smoke causing damage throughout the residence. Fire crews also conducted water removal to minimize damage to the structure and its contents.

The cause of the fire appeared to be accidental. A pan of grease had been left unattended on the stovetop. Damage to the structure and contents is estimated to be approximately $50,000.

Samoa Fire Protection District, Arcata Fire Protection District, and City Ambulance of Eureka assisted at the incident as well. Humboldt Bay Fire wants to remind everyone that you should get out and stay out if you should ever experience a fire in your home.

Watch this space for updates. Got a tip? Let us know at reporters@times-standard.com or at 707-441-0500.

blog comments powered by Disqus