The Humboldt Rose Society is offering free rose pruning demonstrations in January and February. Master rose growers will explain and show how to correctly prune roses.
Demonstrations are on Saturday mornings beginning at 10 a.m., and each participating nursery would appreciate (but does not require) a call so that adequate seating will be available.
Demos dates and locations are as planned:
· Jan. 12, Miller Farms Nursery, 1828 Central Ave., McKinleyville, 707-839-1571, ext. 5
· Jan. 26, Pierson’s Nursery, 4100 Broadway, Eureka, 707-441-2713
· Feb. 2, Shafer’s Ace Hardware and Nursery, 2760 E St., Eureka, 707-442-5734
· Feb. 9, McKinleyville Ace Hardware, 2725 Central Ave., McKinleyville, 707-839-1587
· Feb. 16, Humboldt Botanical Garden, 7707 Tompkins Hill Road, Eureka (located at the north end of College of the Redwoods).
A free pruning demonstration is also planned on Feb. 23 at the Humboldt Rose Society garden at Redwood Acres, 3750 Harris St. in Eureka. This demonstration will be “hands on,” with participants practicing in a real garden, one on one, with a gardening expert. At this event, pruners will be sharpened at no charge.
Time for general questions about rose selection and maintenance is included during each of the demonstrations. Rose society members providing the demonstrations are “Rosarians” who have received special training and certification by the American Rose Society.
For more information about the Humboldt Rose Society or the demonstrations, call 707-443-1291 or go to www.humboldtrose.org. Membership in the Humboldt Rose Society is $20 a year per person or $25 for a family. An application for membership is available on the website.