The following is a press release from the Arcata Police Department:
On January 2nd, 2019 at approximately 7:23 PM an officer from the Arcata Police Department was on patrol in the 5000 blk of Valley West Blvd when his Automated License Plate Reader alerted him that he had just passed a possible stolen vehicle.
The officer confirmed that the vehicle was reported stolen and made contact with Shayne Maupin age 26 of Eureka, who was working on the vehicle and detained him.
During a search of the vehicle officers located a loaded AK-47 rifle with a high capacity magazine concealed inside the vehicle. An additional magazine and other ammunition were also located inside the vehicle. It was determined that Maupin is a convicted felon and prohibited from possessing firearms.
Maupin was arrested and booked into the Humboldt County Correctional Facility for the following violations:
- 10851 VC – Vehicle Theft
- 496(d) PC – possession of a stolen vehicle
- 25850(a) PC – carrying a loaded firearm in a vehicle
- 25400(a)(1) PC – concealed firearm in a vehicle
- 29800(a)(1) PC – felon in possession of a firearm
- 30305(a)(1) PC – felon in possession of ammunition
- 32310 PC – possession of a high capacity magazine