Another golden opportunity awaits Giants shortstop Brandon Crawford and catcher Buster Posey in 10 days.
Both Giants were among the finalists named Thursday for National League Gold Glove awards. We’ll find out on Sunday, Nov. 4 whether Crawford walks away with his fourth consecutive Rawlings award and if Posey can nab his second Gold Glove. However, both Giants may have a tougher time winning this time around.
Crawford, whose defensive numbers aren’t impressive as in year’s past, partly because of a nagging knee injury, is just fourth in the NL in SABR’s defensive index rankings among shortstops. His 4.9 ranking is dwarfed by fellow finalist Nick Ahmed of Arizona, who had an 11.7. San Diego’s Freddy Galvis is the third shortstop finalist.
SABR rankings comprise 25 percent of the vote, while the remaining 75 percent comes from ballots submitted by managers and coaches. Thus, there’s plenty of room for Crawford’s reputation to supersede some defensive metrics.
Posey, meanwhile, was behind the plate just 88 times this season but still finished with the league’s top SABR rating of 5.1. Posey won a Gold Glove in 2016 to snap an eight-year run by the Cardinals’ Yadier Molina, who is a finalist along with first-time finalist Manny Pina of the Brewers.
Brandon Belt led all NL first baseman with a 6.9 SABR rating, but the Giants first baseman was not among the finalists. Here’s a look at the finalists from both leagues.