SANTA CLARA Rejoice, 49ers fans, as quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo reported for Mondays start of the offseason program. The teams social-media crew shrewdly paparazzied his arrival, all of which allows us to have some fun over-analyzing it.
The 49ers sure could use a positive distraction amid the developing saga of linebacker Reuben Foster, who wont attend at least the start of the offseason workouts while out on bail after last weeks felony charges of domestic violence and weapons possession.
Im hearing all other 49ers reported Monday, including three who could be in line for a new contract: offensive tackles Joe Staley and Trent Brown, and defensive back Jimmie Ward.
Garoppolo has a proven history of bringing a positive light when things look bleak for the 49ers (see: 5-0 finish to 2017 season). So, on that note, here are 10 over-hyped takeaways from Garoppolos arrival Monday at 49ers HQ:
1. His 10-yard dash: The 49ers Instagram story shows Garoppolo taking 10 paces (OK, more like 9 3/4). His time: 5.6 seconds. He looked left, straight ahead, panned down, left again, then straight. Thats midseason form keeping his head on a swivel!
2. Shoe check: My preliminary screenshot of Garoppolo came with his bright-white, Jordan sneakers cropped out of the picture. After clamoring from my Twitter followers and after further inspection, I re-cropped the photo to include what apparently are the Air Jordan 3 Retro collection. (Personal note: I sold the original Air Jordan III while working at a Cupertino shoe store in high school in the late 1980s, between my gigs at Deep Cliff Golf Course and the Cupertino Courier.)
3. GQ look: Garoppolos 5-oclock-shadow beard was on its game by 9:30 a.m. Its a look I cant pull off, though Im pretty confident I, too, can walk the catwalk in a long-sleeved, grey T-shirt with jeans. (By the way, Garoppolo went with a similar T-shirt/jeans ensemble when he arrived Oct. 31 upon his trade here.)
4. Celek Time: Garoppolo escorted Garrett Celek through the players parking lot. Youll recall Garoppolo helped fuel Celek Time last season by completing nine passes to the veteran tight end in the final five games, including a 61-yard touchdown at Houston and another score the next week against Tennessee.
5. Parking hierarchy: Garoppolos NFL-record contract (five years, $137.5 million) apparently did not come with a VIP parking pass. He and Celek parked at least halfway down the players lot. Better yet, maybe they took my in-season lead and commuted via the ACE Train to the Great America station.
6. Backpack straps: Garoppolo makes for a wonderful role model for students when it comes to backpack form. Hes wearing straps on both shoulders. No need to misalign the spine with a one-strap look. Celek, by the way, also wore both backpack straps over his shoulders. Bravo, men.
7. Concerned teammate: Audio picked up Celek sharing how terrible the weather has been in Cincinnati, Celeks hometown. Garoppolo responded by asking if Celek was there the whole break. Garoppolo spent part of the offseason in Chicago near his own hometown, so he dealt with weather, too. Meanwhile, a hail storm and earthquake descended upon the South Bay on Monday.
8. Heart of order: Garoppolo did not bat leadoff in the 49ers Instagram story. Like any savvy baseball lineup, Garoppolo was slotted into the No. 3 spot. Defensive star DeForest Buckner opened with a welcome message: What up Niner Faithful? First day back. Ready to get to work. Second in the IG-story order was a quartet of second-year offensive players Trent Taylor, George Kittle, C.J. Beathard and Cole Hikutini.
9. Lookin a lil chubby: As social-media reaction poured in on Garoppolo Pic 1, one fan (@Sivansh21) dare tweeted: Is it me or he lookin a lil chubb. Retaliatory tweets came fast and furious. Watch your mouth there bud, tweeted @EvanSowards. Camera always adds 10lbs, added NinerFanDan. (Personal note: Cam added 10 pounds last offseason while writing about Garoppolos arrival, and my offseason program is off to an injury-prone start.)
10. Real news. OK, OK, enough of these jollies about Jimmy G., even though it beat doing a mock draft. Well truly learn more about Garoppolo and the 49ers on Wednesday when I head to 49ers HQ for the first media access of the offseason program. Ill be sure to take a selfie for you to analyze. Ill be the clean-shaven one.