The act, formally known as Senate Bill 183, requires homeowners to install carbon monoxide alarms in single-family homes with fossil-fuel burning appliances, fireplaces, wood stoves or attached garages. Alarms should be installed on each floor.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas that results from imperfect combustion, making it a common product of motors, barbecues and faulty appliances that run off fossil fuels.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include nausea, vomiting, weakness and in extreme cases, brain damage and death.

blog comments powered by Disqus