CONCOW — An early morning blaze that started in vegetation and spread to a 900-square-foot storage building just north of Highway 70 was ignited by ashes taken from a wood stove and spread out on the ground, fire officials said.
Cal Fire-Butte County crews were called to a home at 3416 Skycrest Drive about 5:44 a.m. and said the outbuilding structure had already burned to the ground on their arrival.
There were no injuries reported and no animals were inside the shop, a Cal Fire spokesman said.
Garden supplies and automotive parts were stored inside the building. Officials estimated the loss to the structure and contents at $30,000.
The property owner said ashes from a wood stove sat outside in a bucket for at least 36 hours before they were dumped on the ground. Officials said a strong wind in the area early this morning was enough to fan embers and ignite pine needles on the ground.