The South Fork Cubs wrestled in Arcata Wednesday in duels against Eureka and Arcata. Against Eureka South Fork went 2-2 but lost the duel because they had to forfeit their matches in weight classes where they did not have wrestlers. Wyatt Gratzel and Justus Arreguin were able to pick up the wins against their Eureka opponents.
The Cubs then faced off against Arcata defeating them in all 3 matches in which they had competing wrestlers. Justus Arreguin, Bowen Low and Sean Sweeney recorded the three wins but the Cubs ultimately lost the duel because they again had to forfeit the weight classes in which they did not have wrestlers.
The wrestlers who were there did very well at the event but with such a small team it is very difficult if not impossible to come away with a team victory in these duels.
- - -
The squad traveled to Ukiah on Saturday to compete in a 28-team tournament. Team captain senior Justus Arreguin had a strong weekend going 2-2, losing his last match on a controversial pin call when he was up on points.
Sophomore Wyatt Gratzel went 2-1 and was in medal contention but unfortunately he had to withdraw from the tournament with an elbow injury after defeating a tough opponent from Middletown in a come-from-behind win.
"Wyatt Gratzel wrestled great showing control and heart," Coach Rusty Pricer said.
Freshman Sean Sweeney wrestled well gaining experience against an older field of wrestlers.
Megan Garcia wrestled up a weight class to gain strength and experience, which she will take into next week's girls North Coast Section Wrestling Championships.
"We will travel as a whole team to cheer her on in what we expect to be a good weekend" Coach Pricer said.
Garcia is going into the NCS the #8 seed after a 10-0 undefeated season against the girls she has faced.
PHOTOS COURTESY OF JOEY GRATZEL
1. Sean Sweeney at the Arcata tournament where he is shown finishing a double leg on a Eureka High wrestler.
2. Wyatt Gratzel going for an ankle pick on the Eureka High wrestler, ending in a pin for Wyatt. Wyatt had 3 pins and one loss at the tournament in Arcata.
3. Justus Arreguin doing a leg ride and a power half, ending in a pin for Justus against a Windsor wrestler in Ukiah on Saturday. He was 2 pins and 2 losses for the tournament.
4. Justus Arreguin at the Arcata Tournament in for the pin with a head and arm.
5. Wyatt Gratzel starting off with a half nelson into a reverse half for the pin against Middletown's 120-pound wrestler. Wyatt ended the night's tournament 1 for 1 due to an elbow injury. He pinned Middletown's wrestler with one arm.