JV boys play three tough games in five days

Jon Fairfield

Redwood Times

The South Fork JV boys played three games in five days this week and despite good efforts all week they came out of it winless.

Tuesday the Cubs hosted St. Bernard’s and played a close game throughout. The boys led by two after the first and were up 24-18 at the half. They fell behind 43-39 after the third and things took an interesting turn in the fourth.

The referees called a very tight game in which four starters for the Cubs fouled out. After Ethan Bates was given a technical for talking, coach Todd Vandenack had enough and let the officials know it. The coach was given a technical and proceeded to take off his shirt at which point he was ejected. The fans erupted out of control and after several of them were ejected the officials called the game early 59-53 St. Bernard’s.

When I asked the coach about the ejection he said, "I lost my temper and made a bad decision. To anybody that was there I am sorry I lost my temper. I take full responsibility for the crowd getting out of control."


Ethan Bates - 13

Kevin Vandenack - 13

Armando Martinez - 11

Nick Way - 10

Ethan Wolf - 4

Reed - 2


On Thursday the boys traveled to Arcata where they were coached by Jake Mitchell, as Todd Vandenack was suspended one game for his ejection on Tuesday.

The Cubs were able to keep it close through the first half finishing down by seven, 36-29. In the second half the kids ran out of gas against the much larger school and despite a great effort by Kevin Vandenack who finished the game with 19 points they lost by a final score of 81-44.

"We appreciate playing these bigger schools," Coach Mitchell said. "They offer us a good learning experience." The team was without several players including Armando Martinez.


Kevin Vandenack - 19

Ethan Bates - 11

Nick Way - 9

Romello Kirk - 3

Noah Ruiz - 2


On Friday the boys played their second game in two days against conference foe Hoopa. The boys fell behind early 12-5 missing some 3-pointers and giving up perimeter scores against their soft zone but rallied at the end of the first quarter to close the gap at 14-11. The boys played tough in the second but found themselves down by 5 after Hoopa hit a 3-pointer to close the half 27-22.

The Cubs opened the third with an 8-2 run and took the lead 30-29 on a couple of key 3-pointers. Hoopa began to double standout Kevin Vandenack and retook the lead 37-32 by the end of the quarter.

In the fourth the Cubs played strong right up until the end. With sophomore Ethan Wolf hitting a 3-pointer and a basket South Fork found themselves down 47-45 with one minute remaining.

The Cubs were forced to foul and the officials felt Wolf was a little too obvious giving him a tough technical for intentional foul meaning after the shots Hoopa got to keep the ball on the inbound. They were forced to foul again and Hoopa hit both to make it a two score game which is the way it ended 49-45.

Coach Vandenack said, "It was a good game both ways they just made a couple more plays down the line." Coach Todd Vandenack said following the loss, "I couldn’t ask them for too much more."


Kevin Vandenack - 18

Nick Way - 9

Ethan Wolf - 8

Ethan Bates - 6

Romello Kirk - 4